You are not just interested in fashion, but you want to design your own creations? In addition, you are interested in craftsmanship and love to perform delicate tasks? Then an apprenticeship at KAYEC as a dressmaker can be just the right thing for you!
Part of the course is to design outfits by fashion drawings including technical drawings. In the next step a tailor is using a block to manipulate the drawing. The result of this manipulation is a pattern which is placed on to the fabric as preparation for cutting. In the end the cut pieces are sewn together to produce the final product. These products vary from dresses, over trousers and skirts, to gowns. So if are interested in this kind of craftsmanship and you maybe want to open your own business in this field this is the vocational training for you!
FACTS ABOUT THE COURSE
- Duration: 6 months (two intakes per year, starting in January and July)
- Costs: N$ 1500 at the beginning of the course, N$ 1500 before the course ends (N$ 3000 in total)
- NTA-level: 1
- Available in Ondangwa AND Windhoek
CONTENT OF THE COURSE
- Follow workplace safety procedures, work practices and code of conduct in a clothing production environment.
- Produce fashion illustrations and technical drawings.
- Construct basic pattern blocks.
- Manipulate basic bodice, blouses and skirts block.
- Lay out and mark fabrics to perform cutting operation.
- Sew and press garments.
COMPULSORY GENERIC SUBJECT
- Mathematics / Numeracy
- Occupational Health and Safety
PERSPECTIVES AFTER PASSING THE COURSE
- Applying at a company with the KAYEC certificate
- Opening your own business as an entrepreneur
- Participate in NTA-assessment if your KAYEC grades match the NTA-requirements
- Further studies at different institutions (e.g. Okakarara VTC)
The application form can be downloaded here: KAYEC Online application 2023